iContact Reveals Small Business Owners Hate Groupon

iContact has announced that one out of every four small business owners surveyed hate Groupon but it is ok they hate social media including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn just as much. Negative comments varied from “it seems like an enormous time commitment” to “it has nothing to do with the merit of the business, but who can manipulate the system.

Facebook received 76% love votes while Groupon is hated by 70% of the small business customers surveyed.

How the major platforms fared:

· Facebook feels the love: While 76%of respondents favour Facebook, there are still a few haters. For example, only a third of small business owners in finance and insurance are fond of the social network. The biggest Facebook fans are non-profits (87%) and education (82 %).

· Haters hate on Groupon: 70% of small businesses hate Groupon. 80% of financial services/investors disliked it the most. Considering the love consumers have for $10 mani/pedis, it may not surprise anyone that Groupon had less hate from professional services, like spas and salons (45%).

· Tepid about Twitter: Small business owners were split on Twitter, with 54% loving it while the other 46% hating it. Digging deeper, the largest group to “hate” Twitter were businesses with fewer than 25 employees; whereas the largest group to “love” Twitter were companies reporting more than $100 million in revenue.

· Gray area with Google +: The new Google service has left small business owners undecided. 48% love it while 52% are not convinced.

· LinkedIn is likeable: 63% percent of respondents were fans of the professional networking site. Businesses with fewer than 50 employees loved LinkedIn the most. The professional services sector harboured the biggest fan base, with a whopping 82% declaring their love for LinkedIn.

“Small business owners are a great barometer for these social products and platforms, because when something helps them hire, sell, or otherwise proves valuable, they’re passionate proponents,” says iContact CEO Ryan Allis Allis. “But when they are strapped for money and time, they’re quick to say if something is not worth the investment of either.”

The founder of emailexpert.org, Andrew Bonar currently resides not far from Sydney in Australia where he performs his primary role as Postmaster for self-service ESP Campaign Monitor

In the past two years alone Andrew has been responsible for the delivery of in excess of 120 Billion messages. With more than 15 years of industry experience, Andrew is widely recognised as a leader in the field of message sending, deliverability and compliance.

In 1996, he co-founded the UK’s oldest privately held ISP, Cheapnet Ltd. In 1998, launched the UK’s first privately held eCommerce payment systems: eBanx Ltd, and in 2003 he launched two of the very first ESP’s in Europe: MailPhoenix and eMailGenie.

From 2006 Andrew served as an independent consultant at organisations throughout Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the US. More recently serving as Worldwide Director of Deliverability at Emailvision, managing deliverability operations in 22 Countries. Andrew continues developing and evangelising best practices in permission-based marketing with clients and industry associations and travels extensively in Asia, Europe and North America to fulfil these obligations.


The continued use of this site, indicates you agree to our use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this. Click below for the detailed policy in relation to cookies.

Cookie Policy for emailexpert