BlueHornet Networks recently released its 2014 Consumer Views of Email Marketing report. The results highlight important findings about consumer behavior and sentiment toward email marketing as well as consumer interactions with brands, and their use of social media and text messaging. The survey includes response data from a national panel of more than 1,000 consumers between the ages of 18 and 75 across the United States.
Among the key survey findings:
- Consumers check their email accounts early and often, including slightly more than 80 percent who check their email before they start work – a data point marketers can use to target subscribers and hone messaging.
- More than 80 percent of consumers report that discounts are the number one reason they sign up to receive emails, a figure that is in line with findings from 2013. The 2014 survey revealed that a reduced dollar amount is the most attractive type of offer. The second most eye-catching discount is a percentage off when consumers are 18 to 45 years old while free shipping hits the mark for 46 to 75 year olds.
- Nearly 45 percent of consumers will wait to make a purchase until they receive a discount – a valuable data point for segmenting those who need an offer versus those who will purchase without one.
- Of consumers who made at least one purchase in the last year, approximately 38 percent engaged from a mobile email and have used a mobile coupon.
- In 2014, just over 87 percent of consumers say they will either delete or unsubscribe altogether from an email list if mobile email messages don’t display properly, up from the 2013 findings. More than ever, designing messages with mobile in mind is critical to the success of email campaigns.
- Given the choice, almost 70 percent of consumers want to communicate with brands via email rather than direct mail or text messages, underscoring the ongoing importance of the email channel.
- Finally, consumers overwhelmingly agree that one to two commercial text messages per week is the ideal amount of text message communication from a brand.
To discuss the survey results in more detail, BlueHornet will host a six-part live webinar series beginning on Wednesday, Aug. 27, at 10:00 a.m. PDT/ 1:00 p.m. EDT. The first webinar provides an overview of survey findings and trends. Subsequent webinars will offer deeper insights gleaned from the report and actionable advice for leveraging the survey data to advance a brand’s email marketing program. Webinar speakers include BlueHornet’s vice president of strategic services, Kara Trivunovic, a regular contributor to ClickZ and the MediaPost Email Insider blog.
BlueHornet’s Consumer Views of Email Marketing report was designed to give marketers added insight into:
- Email Habits – The number of email addresses consumers have; when, where, and how often they check them;
- Frequency and Relevancy – The reasons consumers subscribe to commercial emails, the information they are willing to share, and how many marketing emails they receive;
- Purchasing Behavior – Factors that inform a consumer’s decision to purchase online;
- Mobile Devices – How consumers engage with mobile email; Passbook and geo-targeting adoption rates; and
- Social Media and Text Messaging – Consumer views on the commercial uses of Facebook and text messages.
You can download report here – http://resources.bluehornet.com/resources/form/2014-consumer-views-of-email-marketing-report (registration required)